Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Six Months

In addition to all the fun we were having on vacation, we also celebrated Julia's six month birthday! It's hard to believe that our little bean turned half a year. Time needs to slow down just a bit.


She is such a social little girl these days. She sits at the table when we eat and is very good at making her presence well known. It's especially noticeable when we are eating somewhere; Julia sits in her little high chair and whips her head around when there is activity or someone walking by her. It's funny to watch her wait for people to make eye contact with her. When she finally locks eyes, the biggest and most proud smile comes across her face and she bats those little eyelashes like crazy. Such a flirt.


Before I had Julia, I imagined the first year of her life as a lot of crying, sleeping and eating, but I never really stopped to think about when personality traits would begin to shine through. At six months of age, Julia is so full of life. It's early to guess, but I do think she has a lot more Alex in her than she does me. While I was a happy and smiley baby, I know from stories that I was not the social girl that Julia is. Alex and I are total opposites; public speaking gives me the heebie jeebies as does large groups of people. He thrives on that stuff; cracks jokes, participates in large group debates, and is pretty much a social junkie.  I wish I could be that way, but it's just not in my nature. It makes me really happy to see pieces of her dad in Julia. I love her dad like crazy and if she is anything like he is, I know she's going to be such a fun little girl to experience and witness all the changes and growth that will shape her into the young lady she will someday be.


In the past month, she has gone from a little "leaning tower of Julia" to being able to sit unsupported anywhere from 10-15 minutes at a time before eventually toppling over. It's made our days a lot easier now that she isn't constantly wanting to be held or being propped up by our well-loved boppy. She loves to sit near her play gym while I sprinkle all sorts of toys around her. She'll play with one, get bored with it and then lean forward to find a new one to pick up. Her reaching and grabbing has really developed this month. If it's in reach, it's fair game. Hair pulling is also a new favorite thing as well as putting her fingers to my mouth or whoever currently holds her at the time. She is transferring objects between hands but she isn't quite putting everything to her mouth yet. I'm sure that at the next monthly update she will be chewing and trying to eat everything in site. We shall see!


This month was also all about the feet. She had started pulling her feet to her hands just before we left for Mexico, but discovered how much fun her little toesies could be when they weren't covered by socks and footie pajamas. I will forever hold the mental image of Julia hanging out in her big girl umbrella stroller with her little booty hanging out in the air and both hands playing with both feet. It was so Julia at the time we were down there.


As she gets older, she also gets a little more demanding. She's not mobile yet and I do think she gets frustrated because she sees toys that she wants, but she just isn't quite able to get to them yet. Tummy time still isn't awesome, but she does push up with her arms and moves her feet at the same time. I'm sure crawling isn't far off, but for now I'm okay with that. Baby proofing the house and chasing a crawling infant sounds like a whole different territory. I'm enjoying this current stage way too much to think about moving on yet.



Endless baby kisses and snuggles, cute little coos, and the most amazing baby smiles. First airplane rides, putting her toes in the ocean, trying ice cream, and playing patty-cake with those chubby little baby feet. That's how I will forever remember this stage. Pure happiness.


Xo,
KBG


No comments:

Post a Comment