Valeria and I met nearly 12 years ago at a summer basketball camp. Our first conversation was centered around the topic of deodorant and for those two middle school years that we shared together in Johnston, we were the best of friends. She moved at the end of eighth grade, and to date, saying goodbye to her has still been one of the hardest/saddest days of my life. Middle school is tough enough for girls. But high school? Without your best friend? A part of me died on the inside the day the Turturro's moving van pulled out of their North Glen neighborhood.
I remember writing Valeria her goodbye note. I wished her well, thanked her for all of the memories and the wonderful friendship, and then I tried to convince her to not leave by telling her all the reasons why Iowa was a better place to grow up rather than Louisiana. At the end of the note I remember writing "Do you think we'll make it? Do you think we will really stay best friends?"
Neither of us knew the answer back then. We knew that we were both special to one another and we agreed that we would do everything in our power to keep our friendship strong.
And somehow, someway we did it.
4 years of separation in high school. 4 years of more distance in college. Plus another 2.5 years after college graduation. And we still got it.
It was a privilege to stand next to Valeria on her wedding day. She was stunning. Breathtaking. Beautiful. All those words that come to mind when you think of the most beautiful bride ever. That was Valeria.
We started the weekend off with a girl's bridal luncheon. As an Iowa girl, I really haven't heard of a bridal luncheon, but in Texas these are pretty common. It was a great opportunity to get to know Valeria's best gal pals. A couple of best friends from high school, a best friend from college, and two new sister-in-laws, as well as myself rounded out Valeria's girlfriends. It was a joy to meet all of these girls and spend time getting to know the other friends that have filled Valeria's life with so many memories and so much happiness.
We rehearsed later that evening, ate some wonderful rib eye and enjoyed endless glasses of champagne and whiskey cokes at the rehearsal dinner.
Saturday we woke up and I was as nervous on the inside for Valeria as I was on my own wedding day. We had our hair done at a cute salon called "Blow Dry Bar" and we joined Valeria at her house for lunch, getting ready, and photos. It was perfect.
The rest of the evening was so special and so intimate that I almost feel like it shouldn't be shared on the Internet. We were so lucky to be in attendance and I was so proud and so honored to be standing next to the bestest friend a girl could ask for. We'll keep the details quiet until Valeria wants to share them. This was her day and I know that it is always going to sparkle in her memory as one of the best days of her life.
Valeria, thank you. You are one of the world's best. Thank you for sharing all of your dreams, your hopes and goals, and especially your life with me. You grace each life you touch with a gentleness, an understanding and an amount of respect that I really do hope to emulate in my own life. May your marriage to Jonathan be filled with nothing but love and an abundance of happiness.
What a gift you are to all of us, especially J.
May your days be long, your lives be happy and your love be without measure.
Xo,
KBG








Kels! I just read this - thank you for the sweetest post:) I relived my day in your words. Love you bestie.
ReplyDelete